Same goal but for different types of investors
Curvo and BUX Zero share the same goal, which is for millennials and Gen-Z to prepare for their financial future by investing in the financial markets. However, they target different types of investors because of their different approach.
BUX Zero leaves all the hard investment decisions up to you
They're a broker, meaning that they simply give you access to the financial markets. But you're fully responsible for making the right investment decisions. You have to figure out what to buy, when to buy, understand the tax implications of your decisions, rebalance your investments, make sure they stay in line with your goals and risk tolerance... This is not an easy task, and doing it well is even harder. It requires knowledge about investing and the financial markets, your time, a lot of motivation, and a healthy dose of self-confidence. The learning curve can be daunting, especially if you have little experience with investing.
Curvo takes care of all the complexities of good investing
We realised the difficulties of investing through a broker like BUX Zero. So our approach is different: we make the right investment decisions for you so you don't have to worry. Rather than having to pick the right stocks, ETFs and crypto among the thousands available on BUX Zero, you invest in an investment portfolio that is tailored to you and your goals. These portfolios are composed of globally diversified index funds, meaning you earn a piece of the growth of the global economy, and they're best suited to make the most of your savings long term.
Curvo is for you if
- You want to invest in a plan tailored to you. When you sign up to Curvo, the first step is to get to know you. A portfolio is then built that is tailored to you and your goals.
- You don't necessarily want to spend your free time on your investments. The financial markets are probably not a hobby of yours. We built Curvo so that you can grow your savings by investing in the markets, while being able to spend your free time on the things that matter the most to you.
- You want to automate your saving habit. It takes just a couple of taps in the Curvo app to set up an automated monthly saving plan. Then every start of the month, the amount that you choose is debited from your bank account and automatically invested for you in your Curvo portfolio. Naturally, you can change the amount at any time, or even stop it. Adopting good saving habits becomes easy when it's automated!
- You invest for the long term. The Curvo portfolios are built to bring you success over the long term. If you want to make a quick buck, then Curvo is not for you.
- You see investing as a tool for a better financial life. We believe that investing is an important tool for our generation to improve our financial well-being and to prepare for our future. And we are building Curvo to fulfil that vision. So you're in good company with us if you share this belief!
BUX Zero is for you if
- You really know what you're doing (or you think you do 😉). Building an investment portfolio that is right for you is not an easy task. There are many factors that come into play when deciding if a particular ETF or stock is a good investment. To avoid costly mistakes when investing your savings, it's important your investment decisions are deliberate and well-researched.
- Trading is your hobby. Managing your own investment portfolio and doing it well requires considerable time. It can be hard find the motivation unless you're passionate about investing. If you enjoy studying quarterly earning reports of companies and the Financial Times, then BUX Zero is probably for you!
- You're convinced you can beat the markets. Curvo is rooted in passive investing through index funds, meaning that the Curvo portfolios follow the returns of the global financial markets. If you think you can beat the other investors around the world, you should invest with a broker like BUX Zero rather than with Curvo.
- You're OK paying the Belgian transaction tax every month. As a Belgian resident, you have to pay and declare the transaction tax on anything you buy or sell on BUX Zero (the "beurstaks" or "taxe boursière"). To avoid problems with the tax authorities, you're required to pay it before the end of the following month using BUX's instructions. With Curvo, you don't have to worry about the transaction tax as the funds in the Curvo portfolios were chosen so that they are exempt.
- You love dopamine. Investing in individual stocks, ETFs and crypto is exciting. You think you're a little Warren Buffett when the stock or thematic ETF you picked does well. But conversely, after a bad investment, the inevitable feelings of regret also come up. Compared to this emotional rollercoaster, investing with Curvo can be perceived as boring. But that's on purpose: we think good investing is boring!
- You want to invest in the companies you love. You can buy stocks of your favourite companies through BUX Zero.
Combining Curvo and BUX Zero
It's possible to invest with both Curvo and BUX Zero by, as they say in finance speak, a "core-satellite" strategy. In the "core" are your investments that are well diversified, long term, and don't ever need to change. Curvo was built to fill that role. The "satellite" is a smaller part that you allocate to more actively managed investments. You can use BUX Zero (or any other broker) to invest in individual stocks, thematic ETFs, or cryptocurrencies.
With this approach, you still get to experience the excitement that comes with picking your own investments. But you also have the peace of mind that the majority is invested in a well-thought-out, diversified portfolio that will bring you success long term.
Don't take our word for it
What I appreciate with Curvo compared to a broker is that they are here to guide me by providing a plan for my long-term investments!